Community DV Advocacy Program Youth Activities Coordinator
JOB TITLE: DV YOUTH ACTIVITIES COORDINATOR
DEPARTMENT: COMMUNITY DV ADVOCACY PROGRAM
REPORTS TO: PROGRAM DIRECTOR
- Minimum - $19.98 per hour + benefits
- Maximum depends on salary matrix + benefits
Coordinates and implements cultural and recreational activities with preschool to teen-aged children residing at the domestic violence shelter. Assist in coordinating and implementing outreach activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Plans, organizes and implements regularly scheduled age appropriate activities for children in collaboration with other program staff and volunteers. Participate in games, arts and crafts, recreation, songs, stories, and other activities with children residing at the shelter.
2. Coordinate and implement outreach activities geared toward middle and high school students and their families focusing on dating violence, boundaries, communication, self-esteem, warning signs and identifying healthy relationships.
3. Provide child care during weekly support group and monthly workshops. Prepares and serves nutritional snacks.
4. Facilitate children’s groups providing age appropriate activities to help children develop positive life and social skills and habits with a focus on healing, understanding healthy relationships, safety, communication, personal respect and responsibility. Models and reinforces non-corporal discipline techniques.
5. Obtains and maintains resources for parents and provides appropriate referrals. Assist parents with positive parenting skills and setting of appropriate limits for children and enforce them in a positive manner. Models, explains and reinforces Shelter resident rights and responsibilities.
6. Ensures the playroom and playground are neat, clean and in adherence with local health standards.
7. Ensures sign-in sheets for all activities are complete and turned in to Shelter Manager in a timely manner.
8. Participates in program or community work teams, upon request, including committees, task forces, or event planning. Actively participates in Shelter staff meetings and scheduled trainings.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school in Child Development, Early Childhood Education, Social Services or other related field and two or more years related experience developing and implementing activities for youth of varying ages required; or equivalent combination of additional related education and experience. Must demonstrate an understanding of domestic violence and its effects on children/youth. Beginner to Intermediate experience and knowledge using word processing and spreadsheets (i.e. Word for Windows, Excel, etc.).
Employee must demonstrate the ability to interact tactfully and positively with Tribal members, all levels of staff and management. Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Ability to read, analyze and interpret common professional journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from staff and regulatory agencies. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions. Ability to effectively present information to management, employees and groups of people.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions and apply them to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Licenses or Certificates
Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted Driver’s License and proof of auto insurance required. Driver’s License must not contain any restrictions that would otherwise prevent an employee from operating a GSA vehicle and complying with the Tribe’s Vehicle Use Policy.
May be required to successfully pass a background check prior to hire, and periodically throughout employment thereafter.
Must be able to obtain and maintain First Aid/CPR training and Food Handler’s Permit.
Must have ability to relate positively to children, parents and staff.
Must maintain confidentiality of information on each child and family at the Shelter.
Must be able to work some evening and weekend hours, including holidays.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires the ability to operate a typewriter, personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
The employee occasionally is required to stand and walk.
The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level is low to moderate.
The physical exertion is low to moderate.
Work is performed in an office setting.
There are frequent employee, client and customer contacts during the day.
Position may be stressful at times due to the sensitive or confidential issues being addressed.
Requires occasional travel using employee’s own transportation.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
INDIAN PREFERENCE EMPLOYER AS REQUIRED BY LAW
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $19.98
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA