USA TODAY Summer 2019 Audio Internship – Mclean, VA
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
USA TODAY Summer 2019 Podcast-Audio Internship – Mclean, VA
The USA TODAY NETWORK podcast team is looking for an audio intern for the Summer of 2019. You’ll work with longtime reporters and producers on podcasts. You’ll also work on The City, USA TODAY’s new long-form, investigative podcast.
Why intern with the USA TODAY podcast team? Gain experience in field reporting, researching, writing for the ear, and audio production. You’ll learn how to create compelling audio stories, hook listeners, and grow your audience through social media.
Who should apply? The ideal candidate for this position will be an obsessive podcast listener, able to rattle off their favorite examples of the best and worst of the medium; a lover of long-form “new” journalism in any medium; a quick learner who is eager to learn production and editing skills; a highly organized and detail-oriented worker; and a kind person able to function well on a small, tight knit, collaborative team.
Ideal candidates have studied journalism or a related field and have used their time in school to learn about their community, producing creative content that is both editorially and technically sound.
Candidates should be at least 18 years old and should have completed at least one year of college.
What you’ll need:
- Previous experience in journalism or a related field such as creative non-fiction, filmmaking, digital storytelling, etc.
- Basic familiarity with with ProTools, Adobe Audition, or another non-linear digital audio editing software program. (Additional editing training will take place during the internship.)
- Strong writing and communication skills
- The ability to generate creative ideas on a regular basis
In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- Why are you pursuing a career in journalism? How did you get here?
- Why do you want to work specifically in audio and/or podcasts?
- What skills do you bring to the table and which would you like to refine in this internship?
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
- Job Family Intern
- Job Function General Administration
- Pay Type Hourly
- McLean, VA, USA