I. JOB SUMMARY
Under the direction of the Certification Manager - Certifying Board Services (CBS), the certification specialist assists in providing certifying services to the CBS. This position requires the ability to interact tactfully with professionals on all levels within the association and with the board members, the ability to handle confidential material, deal with sensitive situations, and possess a high degree of attention to detail. The successful candidate will need the ability to understand a complex system of inter-related activities, and to draw independent conclusions based on information provided by candidates/board members and to interact meaningfully with the Certification Manager based on those assessments. The successful candidate will demonstrate willingness to support the Certifying Board Services team.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The following description of job responsibilities and standards is intended to reflect the major responsibilities and duties of the job, but is not intended to describe minor duties or other responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
• Deals with the administrative and clerical duties of the position as needed to support the Vice President, Associate Vice President, and Certification Manager’s overall management of CBS such as setting up meetings, making travel/lodging arrangements, entering and managing candidate and certification program data, maintaining scrupulous computer and paper files, answering questions as needed, routing telephone calls to proper individuals, preparing examination materials, coordinating item review and examination construction meetings, and disseminating information to staff, members, client boards and certification/recertification candidates as appropriate.
• Assists in the arrangements for meetings of the various boards, and other meetings as needed. Tasks include assisting in agenda preparation, preparing and distributing notices, setting and managing timeframes for submission and compilation of agenda books, preparing statistical tables/reports by acquiring numbers from a variety of sources and posting them logically in an appropriate format, compiling and distributing minutes, ensuring that travel and lodging requests are received and addressed in a timely manner and taking minutes in meetings.
• Assists in responding to and generating correspondence according to AOA standards to the board members, certification candidates, and those seeking recertification. This includes using computer-generated standard letters and custom correspondence/e-mails. Responsible for timing and scheduling of routine correspondence. Often these letters serve as candidate notification letters; therefore, a high degree of attention to detail is required.
• Keeps Certification Manager (CBS) apprised of developing issues and matters that need to be addressed.
• Maintains candidate databases for certification and recertification for client boards as required, maintains a high degree of accuracy and confidentiality in regard to all aspects of the certification process. Also, in coordination with the item bank staff, maintains the item bank for client boards as required. The confidentiality of these item pools and changes to information in regard to them is paramount.
• Assists in writing and updating Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and maintaining a current statement of all procedures performed for client boards including all database, correspondence, financial and routine activities and the documentation of policies relating to those activities. The purpose of these compilations of activities and policies is to ensure consistent procedures and performance in relation to all certification activities performed for client boards.
• Maintains filing systems as necessary.
• Attends to various duties as assigned.
III. MINIMUM QUALIFICATION OR EXPERIENCE
Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Experience: 2 - 4 years of administration experience.
Licensure or Certification: NA.
Systems: Expertise with essential computer software, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access.
Special skills: This position requires the ability to interact tactfully with professionals on all levels within the association, ability to handle confidential material, deal with sensitive situations and exhibit a high degree of attention to detail. The ability to plan ahead, take the initiative, work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment is required. Experience with managing expenses and vendors/suppliers/printers is preferred.
IV. PHYSICAL, MENTAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
This position requires the ability to work out of the office locally (up to 5%). Extended workday hours may be necessary around major meetings and other high-volume work periods.
Physical requirements include the ability to remain in a stationary position, the ability to move supplies and equipment up to 25 pounds and the ability to operate office equipment.
V. EVALUATION AND ASSESSMENT
This position description reflects the assignment of essential functions. It does not restrict additional tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change based on the needs of the organization.
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America